Funding to support artists, practitioners and collaboratives to develop, innovate and create.
$25,000 or $50,000
There are two funding rounds in 2024. The first round will open for applications at the end of March 2024. Funding is for activities that take place from June 2024.
Artists, practitioners, and collaboratives who are New Zealand citizens or Permanent Residents.
The Creative Fellowship Fund offers a contribution towards living costs, materials and resources needed to produce work.
The amounts are fixed. You can apply for either:
- $25,000 for up to 6 months, or
- $50,000 for up to 18 months
If you receive a $50,000 grant, we may ask you to work with us in future in areas such as assessment, mentoring, or participation in research or case studies.
Applying for additional funding
Successful applicants to the Creative Fellowships Fund can apply to the Creative Impact Fund before their current grant has been completed but must submit a Proof of Concept.
In a 12-month period, you can:
- receive the Creative Fellowship Fund twice to a maximum of $50,000 (e.g., two $25,000 grants), but you must finish the first grant before applying again, or
- receive one $50,000 Creative Fellowship grant
- receive a maximum of $125,000 across the Creative Fellowship Fund and the Creative Impact Fund
You do not need to supply a budget in your application because the funding amounts are fixed.
If you apply for $25,000, you’ll need to describe:
- What you want to do
- What you have been doing recently and how the grant will contribute to what you want to do now
- Why it is important to do this now and how you think this will benefit your practice
If you apply for $50,000, you’ll also need to describe:
- How you will share your learning or discoveries or reflections with others, and who they will be
- How you think this might evolve your practice, your artform or your community
Assisted application service
From mid-February 2024, we'll offer a supported application service if our systems are not accessible to you. You can work with one of our advisers to find the best way for you to apply and they will be there to support you along the way.
General arts funding
Ngā Toi Māori funding
Creative New Zealand staff and a cross-artform panel of peer assessors assess the applications and make the decisions. Our Māori staff contribute at all stages of the process.
Pacific Arts funding
Creative New Zealand staff and a cross-artform panel of peer assessors assess the applications and make the decisions. Our Pacific staff contribute at all stages of the process.