The scholarship is funded by interest from a gift of $50,000 in 1989 from the Louis Johnson Estate and by Creative New Zealand. It supports published writers or presented playwrights, at an early stage in their career, to work on an approved project.
Bursary recipient for 2022
Clare Mabey, $23,150 to write a middle fiction novel.
Previous recipients include:
- Emma Hislop, $11,000 towards writing a short story collection (2021)
- Oscar Upperton, $20,000 towards writing a poetry collection exploring identity in modern New Zealand (2019)
- Megan Dunn, $24,000 towards a narrative non-fiction book about the rise of professional mermaids (2018)
- Morgan Godfery, $20,000 to support researching and writing a history of dissent in New Zealand (2017)
- John Dennison, $16,000 towards writing a new poetry manuscript (2016)
- Anna Smaill, $24,000 towards writing a second novel (2015)
- Sarah Barnett, $10,500 towards completion of a second collection of poetry (2014)
- Kirsten McDougall, $15,000 towards writing a new novel (2013)
- Bianca Zander, $24,500 towards writing a novel (2012)
- Breton Dukes, $24,000 towards writing a collection of short stories (2011)
- Tracy Slaughter, $18,000 towards developing a novel from a short story (2010)