Completed by independent researchers Rosabel Tan and Dr James Wenley, New Mirrors looks at challenges within the current arts and culture media ecosystem in Aotearoa and offers recommendations on interventions to strengthen it.
New Mirrors is a companion study to the Visibility Matters – Kia kitea ngā toi e te marea research, released in June 2023. The report and recommendations are based on insights from 52 interviews with arts and media professionals including editors, journalists, artists, publicists and commissioners; and has been supported by a media advisory rōpū.
The report focuses on addressing the current national deficit in arts and culture media coverage by focusing on three key areas:
- Telling stronger stories – investing in both media and in publicity and communications roles within the cultural sectors.
Building a media landscape that reflects Aotearoa New Zealand – investing in developing culturally supportive media organisations that can confidently report on a range of different worldviews and lived experiences — with a particular focus on our regions where media needs the greatest growth.
- Deepening understanding between our media and cultural ecologies – investing in more informed and collaborative working relationships across these two sectors, rebuilding the trust that has been eroded over the years — which in turn has contributed to the erosion of arts and culture coverage.
The recommendations proposed in the report are based on both international research and wide-ranging dialogue with people working across the wider media and arts and culture sectors. They are:
- Creating a specialised fund for arts and culture media projects – increasing our ability to tell stronger stories and build a media landscape that reflects Aotearoa.
- Creating an ‘Arts Media Centre’ - an independent body that connects our media and creative sectors – to deepen understanding between our media and cultural ecologies, as well as increasing our ability to tell stronger stories.
This content is tagged as Creative NZ .
- New Mirrors - full report
- Size: 3.32 MB