17 Oct 2023
"He Herenga Kura, He Herenga Tangata, Ki Hawaiki" Uniting Treasure and People to Hawaiki
The Expression of Interest (EOI) release date for FestPAC 2024 is just around the corner. After an almost 8-year pause, the Festival is back on, and Aotearoa is gearing up to return to the 13th Festival of Pacific Arts and Culture (FestPAC). This marks a significant step in our commitment to cultural exchange and collaboration.
We are seeking applicants who are dedicated to representing Aotearoa at one of the most prestigious indigenous arts festivals in the Pacific.
- Call for Expressions of Interest opens: October 25, 2023
- Call for Expressions of Interest closes: November 8, 2023
- Delegation: Māori-led with a focus on Māori performing arts (Te Matatini) and traditional navigational waka, Pacific and Māori contemporary artists, and youth ambassadors.
A New Approach: Aligned with Our Cultural Strategies
This FestPAC 2024 EOI process is unlike any other we've undertaken in previous years. It is deliberately designed to align with Creative New Zealand's Māori strategy Te Hā and Pacific Arts strategy as well as the FestPAC outcomes. This ensures that every step we take is thoughtful, culturally meaningful, and dedicated to achieving specific cultural outcomes that resonate with our core values and objectives. Applicants must be fully committed to shouldering their responsibilities and striving for meaningful outcomes.
Why FestPAC 2024?
FestPAC provides a unique platform for showcasing Aotearoa, New Zealand's rich cultural diversity, creativity, and artistic talents on a global stage. As a Māori-led delegation, we have prioritised Māori Performing Arts (Te Matatini), and traditional waka to participate in the Waka Festival event, highlighting our commitment to preserving and celebrating the unique cultural heritage from Aotearoa.
Who Should Apply?
We are seeking a select number of artists and projects to participate in FestPAC 2024. If you belong to any of the following categories and wish to be considered, we encourage you to express your interest:
For Māori and Pacific contemporary artists:
- Contemporary Māori Arts: Showcase your visual arts expertise.
- Contemporary Pacific Artists: Share your contemporary artistic perspectives and contribute to cultural exchange.
- Traditional Arts: Whakairo, taonga puoro, raranga
For Youth Ambassadors:
We are looking for 2-4 youth (Māori and Pacific) ambassadors to participate in a youth leadership initiative at FestPAC. These selected youth, representing diverse backgrounds from across the Pacific will come together in February in Fiji and reunite in Hawai’i at FestPAC to lead the charge on a shared youth agenda.
- Māori Performing Artists: Creative New Zealand is already collaborating with Te Matatini for their participation, and specific arrangements are in progress. Therefore, there is no need to submit applications related to Te Matatini.
- Waka Fleet Selection: The selection of the waka fleet is also currently in progress, led by our designated expert in this area. There is no need to submit applications for waka-related roles.
Get Ready to Express Your Interest
Expression of Interest submissions open on October 25, 2023. Detailed guidelines on how to apply, evaluation criteria, and important deadlines will be announced shortly
For more information on FestPAC 2024, go to the official FestPac website here
For enquiries or further information, please email email@example.com