20 Jun 2021
The annual Creative New Zealand Arts Pasifika Awards are open now and calling for nominations. These awards celebrate and recognise excellence in Pacific arts across a range of arts practices and career stages. Any New Zealander can nominate an artist or themselves for an award.
There are seven award categories open for public nominations:
- Senior Pasifika Artist Award - $25,000 (Recognises the contribution of a senior established Pasifika artist in maintaining or developing their artform in New Zealand).
- Pacific Toa Award - $10,000 (Recognises the contribution of a Pasifika artist with the lived experience of disability to Pacific arts nationally or globally).
- Pacific Heritage Artist Award - $10,000 (Recognises a major contribution by a Pasifika artist or cultural group towards maintaining, reviving or promoting a Pacific heritage artform in New Zealand).
- Contemporary Pacific Artist Award - $10,000 (Recognises a Pasifika artist who has demonstrated artistic innovation in their arts practice).
- Special Recognition Award - $10,000 (Making a special contribution to Pacific arts nationally or internationally).
- Emerging Pacific Artist Award - $7,500 (Recognising a Pasifika emerging artist showing promise and potential. The purpose of this award is to recognise achievement at this developmental stage, and to help them to develop their career).
- Iosefa Enari Memorial Award - $7,500 (Recognising the contribution of the late Iosefa Enari to the arts and in particular his pioneering role in Pacific opera. The award supports the career development of a Pasifika singer, musician or composer across all classical genres and career stages).
Nominations close Monday 28 June 2021, 1pm.