31 Jan 2022
Applications are now open for a new initiative for Asian artists* in Auckland and Northland, with Creative New Zealand and Foundation North offering funding to support initiatives that are by, with, and for Asian Arts communities in those regions.
This initiative recognises the large Asian population within New Zealand, particularly in the Auckland region, and the valuable contribution Asian arts make to New Zealand. New Zealand has an Asian population of more than 700,000 people, with 63 percent living in Auckland and making up 28.2% of Auckland's population (Census 2018).
Creative New Zealand Senior Manager, Arts Development Services Cath Cardiff says “We’re thrilled to see the Asian Artists’ Fund 2022 open and excited to be able to support new Asian arts initiatives that will further enrich New Zealand’s art scene.”
“We know there is strong interest in the arts within the Asian community. Our 2020 New Zealanders and the Arts – Ko Aotearoa me ōna Toi research found that the arts contribute to Asian New Zealanders’ sense of self, nationhood, and understanding of others to a greater degree than average. Two thirds of Asian New Zealander respondents agreed the arts are an important way of connecting with their culture, and almost half said the arts help to support their identity.
“We want to encourage greater participation. In our Diversity Report, published in November 2021, we found that those applying for Creative New Zealand funding who identify as Asian have a high success rate but the number applying is low.”
The Asian Artists’ Fund 2022 offers funding of up to $35,000 for artistic projects that will benefit the Auckland and Northland regions and achieve one or more of the following:
- develop emerging artists (a priority for the fund)
- empower Asian artists to develop artistic practice and new artistic work
- support Asian artists/arts organisations to present artistic projects
- build the capability of Asian arts organisations, groups, and collectives
- broaden the reach of Asian-led work
- develop Asian audience participation.
Applications need to be made to Foundation North, who will administer the fund (more information and contact details below). Taking a community-led approach, a steering group of Asian artists and arts practitioners will support the assessment of applications and make recommendations to Foundation North.
While this initiative is focused on Auckland and Northland, Asian artists and organisations nationwide can continue to apply for funding through other opportunities we offer, such as Arts Grants (next round open from 1 February).
At a community level, our Creative Communities Scheme is administered by local councils and includes funding to support all arts and culture. You can read about the Creative Communities Scheme and find out more from your local council.
Applications for the Asian Artists’ Fund close at 5pm on Friday 4 March 2022.
* For the purposes of the fund, Asian artists include people with origins in the Asian continent from Afghanistan in the west to Japan in the east and from China in the north to Indonesia in the south (as defined by Stats NZ).
Next steps for finding out about Asian Artists’ Fund:
- read the Frequently Asked Questions, including examples of the types of projects that could be supported (download from the Foundation North website, PDF:339KB)
- contact the Foundation North team to find out more about applying: