29 Sep 2010
Creative New Zealand will support the translation of New Zealand literature into foreign languages with a new Translation Grant Scheme announced today.
The new scheme was developed in response to 2009 research by the New Zealand Book Council which found that the leading international models for promoting a country’s literature focused on a translation grant scheme.
Administered by the Publishers Association of New Zealand (PANZ) the scheme will contribute up to 50 percent of the translation cost per title, to a maximum $5000.It was developed after further consultation with the Book Council, PANZ, publishers, overseas funders and members of the literary community.
Creative New Zealand Chief Executive Stephen Wainwright said the Translation Grant Scheme would be important to bringing New Zealand’s unique literary voice to overseas markets.
“We are increasing our efforts to promote New Zealand literature internationally and this is one of a number of funding initiatives which will support our best writers to achieve maximum exposure.Connections made with international publishers will help grow the international market for, and profile of, New Zealand literature.”
The Translation Grant Scheme will be announced at the prestigious Frankfurt Book Fair in October.An online application process and the quarterly 2011 deadlines can be found at the PANZ website
The scheme builds on, and links to, the Creative New Zealand’s support for New Zealand writers to take part in international literary fairs.PANZ, funded by Creative New Zealand, coordinates a New Zealand delegation to attend the Frankfurt Book Fair each year.In 2010 this funding will assist four publishers to exhibit at the New Zealand stand.To find out more about the fair and who is going gohere
There are a number of international literature initiatives funded by Creative New Zealand listed below:
- writers grants to attend international festivals (administered by the New Zealand Book Council)
- Te Mana Ka Tau, the annual incoming visitors programme for international publishers
- support for New Zealand publishers to participate in the Australia Council’s annual Visiting International Publishers programme.
- Translation grants.
Criteria and grant levels for the Translation Grant Scheme
- Applications will be assessed by a five-person panel that will include representatives of New Zealand Book Council, NZ Centre for Literary Translation, PANZ and Creative New Zealand.
- Grants awarded will contribute up to 50 percent of the translation cost to a maximum of NZ$5,000 per title.
- International Publishers can apply online at www.publishers.org.nz
- 2011 applications deadlines:
1 November 2010
1 February 2011
1 May 2011
1 August 2011
1 November 2011