09 Aug 2011
Storylines Children's Literature Charitable Trust and over 180 volunteers around the country are gearing up for the 18th annual Storylines Free Family Days, to be held in Kerikeri, Dunedin, Wellington, Christchurch, and Auckland in the second half of August.
With a focus on the very best in New Zealand literature and book illustration for children, each day has guests, events and activities that are sure to attract big crowds. In Kerikeri, storyteller Apirana Taylor will join writers Fleur Beale, Des Hunt and others along with illustrator Terry Fitzgibbon to make a magic day.
In Wellington, James Norcliffe and Dylan Horrocks are amongst a strong contingent of authors, illustrators, storytellers and performers who will entertain and delight audiences young and old at The Wellington Town Hall and Capital E.
In Dunedin Robyn Belton and David Elliot feature in a strong line-up of illustrators, authors and storytellers while in Christchurch guests include Kyle Mewburn and Ben Brown along with North Island favorites Tessa Duder and David Hill.
Spreading its wings across two major venues in Auckland, the Storylines Free Family Day will feature more than 30 authors, storytellers, performers and illustrators who provide the focus for a huge range of activities, including creating a bookworm or creating comic books, book marks or your own book illustrations.
All-day performances from schools and professional drama companies bring new and favourite books to life. The Puffin Short Story Writing competition Prizegiving will feature along with free theatre performances by Tim Bray Productions and, in association with the Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra, the world premiere of Tessa Duder's Jellybean, a new children's play for orchestra and three actors based on her classic book of the same name.
Each Family Day offers book launches, the chance to meet favourite authors and illustrators and the opportunity to hear favourite books read aloud - or just to share with others the joy and magic of stories.
Storylines Festival of New Zealand Children's Writers and Illustrators Programme:
- Storylines Dunedin Free Family Day, Dunedin Public Library, Saturday 20 August 2011, 11am-4pm
- Storylines Wellington Free Family Day, Wellington Town Hall and Capital E, Sunday 21 August 2011, 10am-3pm
- Storylines Christchurch Free Family Day, Cobham Intermediate School, Sunday 21 August 10am-3pm
- Storylines Auckland Story Tour to schools and early childhood centre's,
- Auckland region, Monday 22 - Friday 26 August
- Storylines Northland Story Tour to schools and early childhood centre's, Thursday 25 - Friday 26 August
- Storylines Northland Free Family Day, The Centre, Kerikeri, Saturday 27 August 10am-3pm
- Storylines Children's Workshops in writing and illustration, Auckland Museum, Saturday 27 August. Age limits apply to each workshop.
- Dunedin City Library, Saturday 20 August
- Storylines Seminar Series 2011. Friday 19 August, Dunedin City Library: Tuesday 23 August, St Andrews on the Terrace, Wellington: Thursday 25 August, King's School Remuera - featuring International Guest author, Chris Morphew in conversation.
- Storylines Auckland Free Family Day, Aotea Centre, THE EDGE and Auckland Museum, Sunday 28 August, 10am-3pm