27 Aug 2012
Nominations for the Creative New Zealand Arts Pasifika Awards 2012 are now open. The awards celebrate excellence and innovation in Pacific arts in New Zealand.
Nominations for the Creative New Zealand Arts Pasifika Awards 2012 are now open. The five awards celebrate excellence and innovation in Pacific arts in New Zealand.
The annual awards offer the public a chance to acknowledge artists who best characterise the richness and diversity of high-quality Pacific art in this country. Artists can be emerging or established, and practice either heritage or contemporary artforms.
Established in 1996, this year sees a change in nomination criteria to ensure even more quality Pacific artists have the chance to be honoured. The Iosefa Enari Memorial Award is now open to Pacific musicians or composers from all classical genres and career stages, as well as opera singers. For the first time artists who would like to nominate themselves are able to do so.
The Creative New Zealand Arts Pasifika Awards 2012 are:
- Senior Pacific Artist's Award ($10,000) recognises the contribution of a senior established Pacific artist in maintaining or developing their artform in New Zealand.
- Pacific Heritage Arts Award ($5000) recognises an artist who has made a major contribution to maintaining, reviving or promoting a Pacific heritage artform in New Zealand. This may include language, dance, traditional music, weaving or tatau.
- Pacific Contemporary Arts Award ($5000) recognises an artist who has demonstrated innovation within their artform. Artists must have a track record and have achieved in their chosen field. Recognition will be given to those who work in a unique artform, or those who continually push the boundaries of their practice.
- Iosefa Enari Memorial Award ($4000) recognises the contribution of the late Iosefa Enari to the arts, in particular his pioneering role in Pacific opera. This award supports the career development of an individual Pacific singer, musician or composer across all classical genres and career stages.
- Emerging Pacific Artists’ Award ($4000) recognises an emerging artist showing promise and potential in their chosen art form. The purpose of this award is to recognise achievement at this developmental stage ensuring that the artist will develop their career in their chosen field.
The closing date for nominations is 5pm, Friday 22 June 2012. Nomination guidelines and forms can be downloaded directly from the Creative New Zealand website (now closed) or by searching 'Browse by Artform', 'Pacific Arts'.
An awards ceremony will be held on 14 November 2012 in Wellington.
The recipients of the Creative New Zealand Arts Pasifika Awards 2011 were:
- Emerging Pacific Artist’s Award to Tongan visual artist Kulimoe'anga Stone Maka
- Iosefa Enari Memorial Award to Samoan soprano Marlena Devoe
- Pacific Heritage Arts Award to master weaver Kalameli Ihaia-Alefosio
- Contemporary Pacific Artist’s Award to visual artist Janet Lilo
- Senior Pacific Artist’s Award to performing artist Annie Crummer.
For information about nominations and the awards please contact:
Senior Adviser, Pacific Arts
04 498 0729