Annual bursary awarded to a published writer or playwright at the early stage of their career to write new work. The Todd Corporation Ltd contributes $10,000 towards this bursary and the balance is provided by Creative New Zealand.
Bursary recipient for 2022
Chloe Lane - towards a draft of a novel set in New Zealand and the USA that explores female friendships in the wake of a suspicious death.
Previous recipients include:
- Amy McDaid to complete a first draft of Black Kite, a new dark comedy novel (2021)
- Melody Thomas towards adapting an award-winning podcast, on sex and sexuality, to a book (2020)
- Sylvan Thomson towards a writer's stipend to write and complete the draft for a first novel (2019)
- Michael Steven to write a new collection of poetry (2018)
- Puleleki Bourke towards script development of a theatre work (2017)
- Lynn Jenner toward a work of creative non-fiction and poetry (2016)
- David Coventry towards a new novel (2015)
- Gemma Bowker-Wright towards a new novel (2014)
- Lawrence Patchett towards a new novel (2013)
- Gigi Fenster towards a new novel (2012)
- Tanya Moir towards a new novel (2011)
- Elena de Roo towards a collection of children's poems (2010)